- 14 Steps Towards Better Intonation : This explains why it is important to listen to your homework recordings, and also to sing along with your homework.
- ABC Music Notation Software : A list of different types of free downloads for music notation.
- Amazing Slow Downer - A must have for fiddlers : This 'must-have' program slows down recordings so you can learn them by ear.
- Brian Wicklund's American Fiddle Method Bk 1 : This is one of the beginner books I teach from. You can get your copy from me, in the studio or order it from Amazon.
- Celtic Fiddle tunes from the web : One of the most complete websites for fiddle tunes.
- Cheap violins are not a good idea! : This is why you want to rent a good instrument, from me, if you can't afford a good quality one.
- Early musical training gives lifetime benefits : A study in the Journal of Neuroscience. [Travis White-Schwoch et al., Older Adults Benefit from Music Training Early in Life: Biological Evidence for Long-Term Training-Driven Plasticity] has shown that music training as a child may be beneficial as we age even if you haven’t played for decades.
- Fiddle Hero: Bruce Molsky : Some of the best down home, old time fiddle you'll ever hear!
- Fiddle Hero: Liz Carroll : A great traditional player from Chicago.
- Fiddle Hero: Mark Wood : Rock & roll electric violin from the best!
- Fiddle Hero: Martin Hayes : A great celtic player from County Clare.
- Fiddle Hero: Rodney Miller : A master fiddler, of the contra dance style from New England.
- Fiddle Technique: The Chop : 50 YouTube video's showing the bluegrass technique for "the Chop".
- Free music reading apps for your phone : Lots of great ideas for learning music skills.
- How many hours to practice? : An excellent article with some really well-thought out points about quality practice time.
- Jazz tunes on the 'net : A really comprehensive set of jazz swing tunes.
- Listening to recordings the key to good fiddling : Here's a really insightful article about the current studies regarding ear playing vs note reading.
- Note reading basics for Violin : A simple tutorial of the basics of note reading.
- Orpheus Violin House : This is the luthier I use for my instruments. Well worth the price: A "Bel Canto" sound treatment for your instrument.
- Playing music makes you smarter : How playing an instrument benefits your brain - Anita Collins https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/01/29/music-brain-ted-ed/
- Recorded Drones for practice : Here's a good website for drones to practice with....
- Rocky Mountain Fiddle Camp : A great family oriented fiddle & music camp in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
- Topher Gayle, Mandolins & Luthiery : Fine musicianship & excellent hand made mandolins & ukelele's.
- Tunes on the 'net. : An extensive list of fiddle tune collections on the internet... beware! You could spend hours on these links...
- Vintage Fiddle Photography : Just for fun...
- Violin Fingering Chart : Chart to help you figure out note names.
Website blog #1.docx
Introductory Blog #1